Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Finding Work During Daycare Hours Sucks (Big Time)

I know everyone has to do it. I know it's totally normal. I know it's been this way for decades. But I don't care. I hate that my work has to be limited to the hours a daycare is open. I hate it so much. So let me have this whinge please.

online job search


I know I am not the only one who had built a career in an industry where the normal 9-5 doesn't exist. Doctors, bakers, serving staff, chefs... we all do jobs that don't fall into that perfect window of time we are given to find work as parents. So what the hell does everyone else do? Am I the only one finding this really difficult?



I guess the current state of the Canadian economy isn't really helping right now. I would love to find a job doing something outside of my normal line of work. But there are just no frickin' jobs right now! To be fair, there are barely any jobs IN my industry as it is. But at least I might have a shot applying for that one rare opportunity when it presents itself, because I actually have relevant experience.

Every time I find a posting I want to apply for with hours within the daycare limits I envision all of us moms out there looking for work in a huge cat fight, jumping up from the job posting, pulling each other's hair and screaming
"No I need this one! I need to pick up my kid from daycare at 5pm latest!"
"... Must be nice my daycare closes at 4:30!!"

I do realize that there are some daycares that operate outside the normal hours... but finding these people (and ensuring they are a quality provider for your child) is like finding a needle in a haystack. And that haystack likely resides on the complete opposite side of the city. I guess there is also the option of hiring a nanny to come to your home, but their wage likely negates any income, so what the hell is the point?

And please know, this is in no way meant to discrespect to daycare providers. You are all just looking for work during daycare hours too! I get it. (Also, shout out to my son's daycare provider Tori, because she rocks).

Anyways, I have no conclusion to this rant. I just needed to get it out. I think it's a stupid system and I wish there was another option.




No comments:

Post a Comment